Year 12 Camp
A three day compulsory Year 12 Camp is held in June each year. Students stay two nights in the CBD of Melbourne. The purpose of the camp is to provide an array of activities to advocate and inform students about future possibilities beyond secondary school.
The students visit a number of tertiary institutions and they also attend an evening theatre performance at the State Theatre. This is often a very new cultural experience for students to view live theatre in such a venue.
The camp also provides an oppourtunity for the Year 12 cohort to cement a bond and develop a cohesvive approach towards their common goals and aspirations.
Year 10 Sports Academy Darwin Community Camp
This camp is conducted in September where the Year 10 Sports Academy students travel to Darwin to conduct AFL, Netball & Fitness clinics in local Primary Schools as well as assisting AFLNT in conducting their Indigenous girls AFL Carnival at TIO Stadium. Opportunities are provided for our students to provide health promotion to local and remote area girls. The camp has the following objectives:
- To heighten understandings of indigenous communities in Australia.
- To provide an invaluable learning experience from both a sporting and personal development perspective.
- To provide an extension activity for student leaders and build on a leadership culture within the College.
- To enhance the profile and status of Grovedale College Sports Academy by providing a significant point of difference from other schools therefore assisting in attracting highly motivated students and staff to the College.
- To enhance personal development and learning through requiring all students to complete a detailed reflection on the trip.
- To build a high level of personal organisation through responsibilities on the camp including food preparation, grocery shopping and the teamwork of individual cabin members.
The camp is a 6 day experience based in Darwin. Students have the opportunity to develop and extend their leadership and personal development skill in a challenging and exciting environment.
Year 7 Camp
Grovedale College students attend a 3 day camp at Pax Hill Activity Centre in Ballarat. The campsite is located on the outskirts of Ballarat and set on 19 hectares of semi bushland.
The camp program for Year 7 is part of the Transition and the Focus Group programs. The purpose of the camp is for students to build solid relationships with their teachers, classmates and the whole year level, to develop selfesteem and to learn to interact within a group and also develop problem solving and leadership skills.
Students plan and work in small “Tribes” made up from members of their Home Group. They camp, cook and eat together. Healthy competition is fostered through a series of Tribe and Home Group challenges designed topromote connectedness within the year level as well as to the College community.
Students are provided with the opportunity to appreciate and connect with Australia’s natural environment by participating in activities such as archery, bush cooking, commando course, tug-of-war, giant slide, night walks,orienteering and an underground mine walk.